Artificial intelligence (AI) is a wide-ranging branch of computer science concerned with building smart machines capable of performing tasks that typically require human intelligence. Artificial Intelligence is an interdisciplinary science with multiple approaches, but advancements in machine learning and deep learning are creating a paradigm shift in virtually every sector of the tech industry.
Why is Artificial Intelligence Important ?
1) AI analyzes deeper data using neural networks that have many hidden layers. Building a fraud detection system with five hidden layers was almost impossible a few years ago. All that has now changed with incredible computer power and big data. One needs a lot of data to train deep learning models because they learn directly from the data itself. The more the data is feeded , the more accurate they tend to become.
2) AI adds intelligence to existing products. In most cases, AI will not be sold as an individual application. Rather, products you already use will be improved with Artificial Intelligence capabilities, much like Siri was added as a feature to a new generation of Apple products. Automation, conversational platforms, bots and smart machines can be combined with large amounts of data to improve many technologies at home and even at the workplace, from security intelligence to investment analysis.
3) The quality that marks AI systems is the ability to learn and adapt as it compiles information and then accordingly makes decisions. Effective artificial intelligence must adjust as circumstances or conditions shift. This may involve alterations in financial situations, road conditions, environmental considerations, or military circumstances. AI must integrate these changes in its algorithms and make decisions on how to adapt to the new possibilities.
4) AI adapts through progressive learning algorithms to let the data do the programming. AI finds structure and regularities in data so that the algorithm acquires a skill: The algorithm becomes a classifier or a predictor. So, just as the algorithm can teach itself how to play chess, it can teach itself what product should be recommended next online. And accordingly the models adapt when given new data. Back propagation is an Artificial Intelligence technique that allows the model to adjust, through training and added data, when the first answer is not quite right.
Artificial intelligence generally falls under two broad categories:
1) Narrow AI: Sometimes referred to as “Weak AI,” this kind of artificial intelligence operates within a limited context and is a simulation of human intelligence. Narrow AI is often focused on performing a single task extremely well and while these machines may seem intelligent, they are operating under far more constraints and limitations than even the most basic human intelligence.
2) Artificial General Intelligence (AGI): AGI, sometimes referred to as “Strong AI,” is the kind of artificial intelligence we see in the movies, like the robots from West world or Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation. AGI is a machine with general intelligence and, much like a human being, it can apply that intelligence to solve any problem.